- Its the "birthday" of Jesus! I found out yesterday that a friend of mine celebrates Christmas with Pizza and Birthday Cake -- what a great idea! While I am aware that there is a bit more importance than just celebrating a birthday, I was thrilled that this year Vincent really understands more than just Santa Clause.
- The food is great -- and you get to share it with family and friends. Christmas is a great excuse to indulge in all the sinful foods. And, I love the fact that my family had a "Feliz Navidad" (Mexican) Christmas Eve and then had Corned-Beef Hash on Christmas day. So non-traditional, but sooooooo good. And, of course, there were tons of cookies and desserts.
- Family and Friends. Christmas just gives us all an excuse to party together. Some folks I haven't seen for 364 days, others I see too much! For us it also means we get to have Granny stay with us for a few days... something that my Vincent really looks forward to (and I think she does too).
- The decorations are fantastic. Nothing beats a house filled with a Christmas tree, ceramic villages, lights and garland... among other things.
- The weather. Of course I love the snow... I live in NE Ohio! And, its as if someone above knows that it HAS to snow on Christmas Eve. This year there was just enough to have to shovel a path to the front door for visitors. LOVE IT!!
- The movies and Christmas specials on TV. Who does not love A Charlie Brown Christmas, Prep and Landing, Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, A Christmas Story, The Santa Claus, Santa Buddies... the list is endless!
- Presents. OK, so it is a bit superficial, but I love giving (and receiving) gifts. I love the night I sit down with all the kids gifts and wrap... makes me very grateful for what we have.
- Time to reflect. Being a teacher, I have a fantastic work schedule. Having the week off after Christmas is one of the best perks. It allows me to spend some extra time with family and friends. I cry a lot this week... not because I am sad, but because I am so grateful for what I have. This year in particular has been very challenging. But, as I sit and watch my 2 beautiful children play, I realize how fortunate I really am! (And knowing I do not have to go back to school until after the New Year is an added bonus!!)
SOME SCENES FROM OUR CHRISTMAS:
Vincent, Santa and Bekah -- he came to deliver a present
to them (and the other Wilson cousins) on Christmas Eve.
About 5 minutes into the visit (after he opened his present)
Vince disappeared to look for Santa's sleigh and reindeer.
At our family White Elephant exchange I ended up
with a Big-Top Cupcake Maker. Vince was adamant that
we had to make a big cupcake for Santa, "He's a big guy mom!"
My little Cindy-Lou Who... Bekah being
adorable on Christmas morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment