Thursday, June 23, 2011

Four Weeks into Summer Vacation...

As week four of summer vacation comes to a close, I wanted to reflect on my top moments of the summer thus far:

1.     Summer School.  Yes, I worked summer school for a week.  A drag to start summer vacation by going to school every morning.  But, Vince came with me everyday – which alone made it worth it (most of the time, when he wasn’t the “class discipline issue”).  Each morning Vince woke up, got himself dressed and began bugging both Bekah and I to hurry up and get ready.  He was always so excited to go to “reading camp school.”  Let’s just hope he is this excited when he is older!
Bekah in Reading Group with Mrs. Dotson

Vincent and Bekah in the listening center


2.     Vince and Bekah had to go with me to Wooster High School and pick up my new computer.  While the 1.5 hours it took to make the trade was not something I want to remember, the conversation between the kids was priceless.  On the way out Vince to Bekah that “when the get smarter they would be able to go to school here.”  That’s right, not older or bigger – just smarter!
Vince and Bekah walking the hall of Wooster High School


3.     Bad storms.  At the beginning of the month we experiences some terrible storms.  Vince was always the brave big brother that would tell Bekah that “God was bowling” and “the angels were lighting fireworks.”  One night, I allowed the kids to crash in my bed.  This is a picture I took of them passed out… they were just too cute to move:


4.     Hartzlers!!  Sure, I may use it as my “if you behave while mommy gets all her shopping done” bribery too.  But, really, I want ice cream just as much as the kids do!  And, I looooove taking home delicious chocolate milk too.


5.     Swimming in the backyard.  (Well, swimming in general).  My kids are water babies.  Since they were little they have LOVED the pool.  Maga’s pool is their favorite.  But I find it hilarious that even in the backyard “kid pool” the kids feel the need to get out the water wings, dive sticks, kickboard and all the other toys we take to Maga’s big pool!



6.     Trips to the park.  I love watching them interact with the other children they meet – they are such outgoing kids!  (Sorry, no pictures with this one.)

7.     Parades.  We started out the parade season by attending the Blue Tip Parade just a few days ago (a 2 hour long parade, by the way!!).  My kids love parades.  Honestly, I think that they love the candy.  But, I do love a good parade!!
Shouting "CANDY" everytime a float passed by



 8.     Train Rides!  Wait, another bribery tool.  Hmmmm.  Does that make me a terrible mother.  I am ecstatic that there is a train at the outlet.  And, during the week, one ticket gets you unlimited rides.  Perfect for bribing kids.  Shop, eat, ride the train, shop some more, ride the train again… it’s the perfect tool to get kids to behave while on a summer shopping trip.  However, this past visit took the cake.  On our third (YES THIRD) ride on the train, Vincent fell asleep in my lap – PRICELESS!

This was on our first ride around the tracks!

And... what rocks the most.... Knowing that I have SEVEN more weeks of summer vacation!  
While a few weeks of that is sans-kids, I am hoping that the weeks do not go by as fast as the last four weeks have.

No comments:

Post a Comment